The Butter Market + Bradford Market Cross
Nominated by Jean McEwan and Chemaine Cooke of grassroots arts project Wur Bradford.
“At the Westgate entrance to the Kirkgate Shopping Centre is a nod to Bradford’s celebrated market history. The plaque sits just below the city’s market cross, which was taken inside the Kirkgate Centre in the 1970s.
“A market charter was granted to Bradford for the first time in 1251 by Henry lll, with the first Bradford Market being held in the vicinity of the Parish Church (now Bradford Cathedral).
“Bradford’s markets, in their changing manifestations over the centuries, have always been a central part of Bradford’s geography – not only being a place for trade, but a place to watch and be part of the city’s rich life and character.
“They have always been a form of theatre – the open outdoor ‘Quack Market’ which opened in 1929, featured an optician who claimed to cure cataracts by sucking a patient’s eye, and the pots stall man who would juggle pots in the air!
“More than anything Bradford markets are places for community and connection for Bradford people like no other – and that’s why we love them.”