The Old Theatre Royal
Nominated by Maria Glot – Saltaire World Heritage Site guide
“The Old Theatre Royal The weather beaten plaque marking where Bradford’s first purpose-built theatre stood is an apt reminder of the 1841 building nick-named “the old wooden box”.
“Originally the Liver it became the Theatre Royal in 1844, but apart from stone pillars from the Manor Hall Kirkgate to smarten the entrance, it was rough and ready with planks for seats for the audiences of “horny-handed men who liked good acting…”.
“It had nevertheless one of the best companies in the provinces.
“Near the theatre was Manor Row, where Daniel Salt and family had lived and North Parade to where son Sir Titus brought home his bride. In 1866 the Bradford Club, which had Antonio Fattorini, Delius’s father Julius and Titus Salt as members, moved into premises on the corner of Upper Piccadilly.
“This Grade II Listed building by Saltaire’s architects Lockwood and Mawson is now called Angel House. After the Midland Station opened, families left for fashionable Manningham and textile merchants moved their goods into the area. And so in 1867 the curtain came down for the final time in the Old Theatre Royal and a warehouse was built on the site for Mr Willey.”